Carolyn was called to the bar in 2020.
Prior to joining the bar, Carolyn worked for a number of boutique, national and international law firms practising in the area of insurance litigation. She has extensive experience acting for defendants and insurers in public and product liability claims (both personal injury and property damage), professional negligence matters (particularly involving building professionals), intentional tort claims, strata disputes, coverage disputes and claims for dual insurance.
Master of Laws – University of Melbourne
Bachelor of Arts / Law (First Class Honours and the University Medal in Law) – University of Technology, Sydney
Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice – University of Technology, Sydney
Barry.Nilsson. Lawyers, Special Counsel – April 2018 to August 2020
Sparke Helmore Lawyers, Special Counsel / Senior Associate – August 2014 to April 2018
Vardanega Roberts, Partner / Senior Associate – March 2012 to July 2014
DLA Piper, Senior Associate – November 2010 to March 2012
Moroney Lawyers, Senior Associate / Lawyer – March 2002 to November 2010
NSW Bar Association
As a solictor:
- Acting for an insurer in the Federal Court proceedings commenced by Icon Co (NSW) Pty Limited in relation to a coverage dispute in relation to the defects in Opal Tower: Icon Co (NSW) Pty Ltd v Liberty Mutual Insurance Company Australian Branch trading as Liberty Specialty Markets  FCA 1493
- Acting for an Owners Corporation in an expedited matter in the Supreme Court of NSW involving an alleged breach of contract relating to the termination of a caretaker agreement
- Defending a personal injury claim made under the Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth) against an alleged supplier of a defective product. That claim was successfully defended to the High Court (where special leave was refused) and the case is a leading authority on the meaning of “supply”: Spittles v Michael’s Appliance Services Pty Limited  NSWCA 76
- Applications in the Supreme Court and New South Wales Court of Appeal for costs orders against non-parties to the proceedings: Rickard Constructions Pty Limited v Rickard Hails Moretti Pty Limited & Ors  NSWCA 283.
- An appeal considering the primary and secondary limitation periods in sections 18 and 60C of the Limitation Act 1969 (NSW): Turagadamudamu v PMP Limited  NSWCA 120
- Acting for a local council in defence of a claim by a cyclist who fell off his road bicycle when it struck a defect in the roadway and sustained a severe traumatic brain injury, involving defences based on the public authority, obvious risk and dangerous recreational provisions of the Civil Liability Act 2002 (NSW)
- Acting for a principal contractor in relation to a property damage claim brought in nuisance and negligence in respect of alleged failures to control sediment and stormwater discharges from a work site during heavy rainfall events
- Acting for the principal contractor in a catastrophic injury claim in which the plaintiff was injured during the demolition of a bridge and advising on a dual insurance claim made by the demolition contractor