Jodi Steele SC
Jodi is a Senior Counsel practicing in commercial law and equity who has been consistently recognised in Doyles Guide, Who’s Who Legal: Construction, Who’s Who Legal: Australia and Best Lawyers in Australia as a leading barrister in Litigation, Insurance, Construction Law, Employment and Industrial Relations and Alternative Dispute Resolution. She brings over 25 years’ legal and commercial experience to the resolution of her clients’ disputes. Complementing her practice as a barrister, she deploys her strong negotiation and communication skills when appearing as counsel at mediations, and when acting as a mediator.
Her knowledge and expertise across the broad range of commercial practice areas listed below has seen her act and advise international and multi-national corporations, the State and Commonwealth Government, as well as high-profile individual clients. Her considerable list of long-standing clients commend her on her commercial and strategic advice, together with her advocacy skills and judgment.
For any enquiries, or to brief Jodi, please contact her clerk, Paul Walker on (02) 8915 5102.
For more information, see jodisteele.com.au
- 2024 Best Lawyers in Australia: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Insurance Law, Labour & Employment Law and Litigation (awarded in April 2023)
- 2023 Who’s Who Legal: Australia and New Zealand – Construction (WWL says “Jodi Steele is highly regarded in the market for her “excellent legal and commercial judgement” when it comes to complex construction disputes”)
- 2023 Who’s Who Legal – Construction Global Leader (2023) and Thought Leader (2022)
- 2023 Doyles Guide: Leading Construction and Infrastructure Senior Counsel – NSW
- 2023 Best Lawyers in Australia: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Insurance Law and Litigation (awarded in April 2022)
- 2022 Best Lawyers in Australia: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Insurance Law and Litigation (awarded in April 2021)
- 2022 Doyles Guide: Leading Construction and Infrastructure Senior Counsel – NSW
- 2022 Doyles Guide: Leading Professional Indemnity Senior Counsel – NSW
- 2022 Who’s Who Legal – Construction (Peers and clients say “I found Jodi to be incredibly engaging and she was able to work through some very complex issues with great skill”; “she is always available
to help and to guide”; “Jodi is rapidly establishing herself as a leading Senior Counsel specialising in construction disputes”)
- 2022 Who’s Who Legal: Australia and New Zealand – Construction (WWL says “Market sources endorse Jodi Steele SC as an “impeccable” practitioner who is highly sought after by domestic and international clients for her adept handling of high-value construction disputes”)
- 2021 Best Lawyers in Australia: Alternative Dispute Resolution, Insurance Law and Litigation (and as published in the Australian Financial Review)
- 2021 Doyle’s Guide – Recommended Leading Construction and Infrastructure Senior Counsel – NSW
- Who’s Who Legal: Australia & New Zealand – Construction: (WWL says “Jodi Steele SC is widely acknowledged to be “an excellent silk” for complex commercial and infrastructure disputes”).
- 2021 Who’s Who Legal – Construction: (WWL says “Jodi is celebrated as a top Silk in construction in New South Wales”; “she is highly intelligent, tactical, committed and hard-working”; “Jodi is excellent in the testing of expert evidence”).
Areas of Practice
- Building & Construction Law
- Class Actions
- Commercial Law
- Employment Law
- Equity & Trusts
- Inquests, Inquiries & Royal Commissions
- Insurance & Professional Indemnity
- International Commercial Arbitration & Mediation
- Professional Liability (including medical negligence and directors & officers liability)
- Trade Practices & Competition
- Wills & Probate (including Succession and Family Provision)
- Work, Health & Safety
Accredited Mediator, National Mediator Accreditation System (NMAS), 2015
Bachelor of Laws: University of New South Wales, 1992
Bachelor of Arts: University of New South Wales, 1992
2013 – present: Senior Counsel and Barrister, 13 Wentworth Chambers
2002 – 2013: Barrister, Seven Wentworth Chambers
1998 – 2000: Senior Legal Officer, Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC)
1997 – 1998: Solicitor, Construction Department, Allens Arthur Robinson (now Allens Linklaters)
1993 – 1997: International Manager (Contract Negotiation and Business Development) for a boutique Australian advertising firm – Asia Pacific and Latin America regions
- Member, Australian Insurance Law Association (AILA)
- Member, New South Wales Bar Association
- Director, Counsel Chambers Limited (since 2016)
- Lieutenant, Royal Australian Navy Reserve (RANR) (since 2007)
- Commonwealth Department of Public Prosecutions (CDPP) External Senior Counsel Panel
Significant cases in which Jodi has appeared are set out in her CV, which can be downloaded below.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Jodi regularly authors articles, delivered papers and presents tailored seminars to solicitors on topical legal issues and legal developments.
Recent examples are as follows:
- Recent Developments in Construction Law: Australian Society of Construction Law
- Advocacy in Mediation: NSW Bar Association conference in Orange, New South Wales
- 9th Annual Advanced Evidence and Advocacy Masterclass: presented at UNSW for Legalwise Seminars
- DO’S and DON’TS of Running a Case in Equity: co-presented with The Honourable Justice Stephen Robb and chaired by Nick Kidd SC, at the NSW Bar Association.
- Implementing the Gender Equitable Briefing Policy: Members of 13 Wentworth Selborne Chambers
- How to Plead Proportionate Liability to Ensure it Covers the Concurrent Wrongdoer: Commercial Litigation Conference for Legalwise
- Review of Defect and Contractual Remedies in the Combustible Cladding Context: UNSW Continuing Legal Education
- Expert Witnesses – Effective Briefing and Giving Evidence in Court: Society of Construction Law Australia (SOCLA)
- Review of Defects Procedures and Contractual Remedies – Defect Liability and Cladding Claims: UNSW Continuing Legal Education
- Negotiation and Without Prejudice Communications: co-presented with Raphael Perla to various law firms
- Understanding Privilege: co-presented with Lucy Robb-Vujcic to various law firms
- Proportionate Liability: co-presented with Mark Dempsey SC to various law firms